Thursday, November 12, 2015

A Facebook Purge

I have recently deleted over 800 people on Facebook after realizing that I was Facebook friends with 1160 people – insane numbers! I only add people that I know, but obviously I do not have 1k friends in real life. So, I started deleting people that basically ghost follows me, i.e.: doesn’t interract with me, doesn’t share, etc. Later, I deleted the first time met people. Then, I deleted old high school classmates, university classmates, former colleagues and even current colleagues that are not particularly close to me.

How the hell did I get here? I wanted to just delete my Facebook really, but then, since I am working abroad I really needed it to stay in touch with my family and friends. So, it had to be done. I am not proud of this decision, but I hope people will understand it eventually.

Here are cons and pros of deleting people:

CONS
  1. People will be upset. Even if you think the friendship is not close, the other party might think otherwise.
  2. Some people will start despising or worse start hating you.
  3. People will not understand that you want a privacy.
  4. They will start adding you back and some will get even angrier if you do not accept.
  5. Your networking access will shrink. Before, it was just easy to Facebook and ask someone something, but now that you deleted them, what will you do?

PROS
    1. People will not even notice that you deleted them. That’s great! You did the right thing to delete those people.
    2. Your Facebook feed will only show the news from you close friends.
    3. You will actually start using Facebook as you should by focusing more on your family and close friends, rather than acquantances.
    4. You no longer need to filter your updates
    5. You will have some control over your social media
    6. You’ll be happier :D


    I did the same on my Instagram, too, but I am not asking you to follow me and mass delete many people from your Facebook. This was my personal choice and it helped me have a little more control over my social media, which eventually triggered a positive effect on my time, family, friendship and happiness. 

    Whatever works for you, do it. Whatever makes you happy, do it.

    No judging,
    B.

    1 comment:

    1. I can relate to it. For little over two years now, I have been deleting people from my fb as soon as the number gets closer to 500. Despite my effort, it somehow gets to this number. While it is often hard to delete people, I continue to do it for the sake of my privacy. I have received only two hate messages for deleting them in two years of time, lol. So yeah, great decision, B! :D

      ReplyDelete

    I heart you. What do you think?